Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sickness....

Let's suffice it to say that since Friday I have dealt with 3....count them 1, 2, 3 different illness in this house.

Let's start with Thursday:

Stefan called me from work saying that his throat was kind of scratchy and he had a slight headache. My thought was that it was from the weather changing since it goes from 60s/70s during the day to 30s/40s at night. No big deal! He didn't want me to make a doctors appointment because he agreed that it was probably nothing serious.

Friday:

Stefan again calls me from work only this time to tell me that his throat is killing him and he now had a cough and he thinks it's strep throat. I am a natural carrier of strep throat, meaning I can carry the virus but it doesn't actually make me sick, so there is always that chance at any time that I could pass it on to Stefan or Jackson. It was too late in the day at this point for me to call the doctor's office for an appointment so we decided to go to the RediClinic when he got home from work. If you don't know what a RediClinic is it's kind of like an urgent care that is open till 8pm everyday of the week including weekends...it's awesome and better yet it cost us no more than our insurance copay. Anyways, so my mom offered to watch Jackson while we went. Thankfully the strep test came back negative and he was diagnosed with just having a throat infection, unfortunately there aren't any medications he can take for this. I got into my herbal mood and made him a mixture of garlic water(boiling garlic cloves then straining out the cloves and using just the water) cayenne pepper, and salt. I had him gargle this every 3 hrs or so for 24 hrs straight minus when he was sleeping(unless he woke up from coughing ). By the time the 24hrs was up his throat was no longer hurting and he felt tons better.

It's now Saturday:

Jackson woke up completely stuffy and a slight cough. I doctored him at home and gave him medications that I had available hoping something would help. Well it didn't! He woke up from his nap and I had to use the bulb syringe(the one they gave us when he was born) and suck out his nose so he could have even a small change of breathing. It was GREEN! So off we went once again the the RediClinic for him to be diagnosed with what I had already known....a sinus infection. He is now on 2 antibiotics for the next 7-10 days. Later that evening Stefan starts with a runny nose and cough.....GREAT he now has a cold.

Sunday:
I spend this entire day taking care of Jackson and Stefan who both are now going through tissues like it's their job and I am wishing we would have bought stick in Kleenex. Bringing soups, liquids, crackers, medications, blankets, pillows, more tissues, changing diapers, making more soups, cuddling, cleaning up old dishes, putting in movies, the occasional trip to the bathroom for me to pee, and back to all of the above. I gave Jackson a bubble bath so he could relax and get some steam while Stefan took a shower at the same time(note: we have a separate shower and tub in the master). Then it was time for bed....Jackson had a really rough time with this since he wanted to suck on his pacifier but couldn't breathe out of his nose... after 1 1/2 hrs of him whining he finally fell asleep...Stefan on the other hand had already been sleeping for almost 2 hrs.

Monday:

Stefan is feeling a little better not so stuffy and his cough seems to be on the mend. Jackson woke up as if he had never been sick. I on the other hand have now woken up sick!!!! So here I am still trying to take care of 2 other sickos and I am sick myself. Thus Tuesday and today have also been rough but only for me. Stefan and Jackson are both well and doing their normal daily activities and I am dragging along as if I'm not even here. Hopefully this passes quickly for me as well and we will all be good this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment